Puddles can contain hidden dangers from collecting surrounding debris that hold giardia (an intestinal parasite), toxic chemicals (like insecticides and fertilizers), and bacteria (like leptospirosis). Best prevention? Don’t let your pet drink from puddles or stagnant water.
Wet, slippery surfaces can lead to slides, trips and injuries especially to older or overweight pets. Walk them slowly and remain on solid surfaces.
If your pet has long or thick fur, the rain may lead to a chronically dampened coat. Yeast organisms love this situation and can grow freely on the damp skin, in the ears or even between the paws causing itchy, uncomfortable infection. Towel dry after walks and get out the blow dryer.
If your pet suddenly won’t go outside and decides to urinate in the house, you’re not alone. Especially small dogs hate the wet cold ground. It’s time to physically leash them and go for a long walk or succumb to potty pads in the house.
Kare Korner by Karen Johnson, DVM (Dr. Kare)